Courtesy of the Automotive Service Association
The following simple and inexpensive preventive checks will greatly extend the life of the vehicle, ensure safer operation and even benefit the environment.
Always consult your owner's manual for individual service schedules because maintenance requirements vary by manufacturer.
- Always consult your owner's manual, but a good rule of thumb is to have the oil filter changed regularly - every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
- Have all fluids checked, including brake, power steering, transmission/transaxle, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze. These fluids play a large role in the safety and performance of the vehicle.
- Check tire inflation. Under-inflated tires can result in a loss of fuel efficiency. This is the least expensive form of preventive and safety maintenance. Tires should be checked once a month.
- Keep your engine tuned. A fouled spark plug or plugged/restricted fuel injector can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent.
- Have the chassis lubricated frequently. This step extends the life of the moving components of the vehicle's suspension system.
- Check battery cables and posts for corrosion and clean them as needed. The battery fluid also should be checked and filled if it is low, unless it is a maintenance-free battery.
- Have the lighting system checked frequently, including headlights, turn signals, and brake and taillights.
- Check windshield washer blades for cracks, tears and windshield contact. Replace them at least once a year, or sooner if streaking begins.
- Inspect engine belts regularly. Worn belts will affect the engine performance. Look for cracks and missing sections or segments.
- Have the air filtration system checked frequently. The air filter should be checked every other oil change for clogging or damage. This system ensures that the vehicle is performing at its peak condition.
|Service Interval Schedule:|
Vehicle System or Component
Check Every 3,000 Miles
I was desperate to find a locally-owned quality repair shop I could TRUST to take care of my cars. After many disappointing experiences elsewhere, I went to B & M and WOW! Bob, the owner for 30 years, is thoughtful, considerate, thorough & a true master of his profession. Marty is quick to recognize a problem & communicate issues clearly in simple terms that are easy to understand. He also has a fun & witty sense of humor which certainly helps when you're stressed about car problems! They finish repairs ON TIME & CORRECTLY, and always return calls quickly. Bob insists on using only PROVEN QUALITY PARTS, & rates are always reasonable. What else could you possibly want from a repair shop?! I'm SO grateful to find this one!!!
Miki Hammat, 04/12/2021
My parents are in from NY and were having car trouble so I recommended B & M because they have fixed my car in the past. I find them to be honest and have reasonable prices. I say honest because I had a brake problem that another mechanic quoted me at $600 but at the time I couldn't afford so I brought my car to B & M for just an oil change. When I drove off I noticed the brakes felt like they were working properly again so I looked at the invoice from B & M and noticed they replaced a simple brake hose at no charge! The staff is very kind and welcoming and the owner Bob was there to greet us. They fixed my parents car and had them back on the road in no time. This place is a hidden gem. We will definitely be loyal customers for life now :)
Angel R. - Knoxville, TN
Great service and work at B &M auto. The owner is great and is all about service. Entire mechanic staff is very good and you will get the job you need done right. i take all my mechanic work there and never disappointed. They are honest and do very good work, try them you will be back! Thanks Bob and staff!
David T. - Knoxville, TN