Courtesy of the Automotive Service Association
The following simple and inexpensive preventive checks will greatly extend the life of the vehicle, ensure safer operation and even benefit the environment.
Always consult your owner's manual for individual service schedules because maintenance requirements vary by manufacturer.
- Always consult your owner's manual, but a good rule of thumb is to have the oil filter changed regularly - every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
- Have all fluids checked, including brake, power steering, transmission/transaxle, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze. These fluids play a large role in the safety and performance of the vehicle.
- Check tire inflation. Under-inflated tires can result in a loss of fuel efficiency. This is the least expensive form of preventive and safety maintenance. Tires should be checked once a month.
- Keep your engine tuned. A fouled spark plug or plugged/restricted fuel injector can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent.
- Have the chassis lubricated frequently. This step extends the life of the moving components of the vehicle's suspension system.
- Check battery cables and posts for corrosion and clean them as needed. The battery fluid also should be checked and filled if it is low, unless it is a maintenance-free battery.
- Have the lighting system checked frequently, including headlights, turn signals, and brake and taillights.
- Check windshield washer blades for cracks, tears and windshield contact. Replace them at least once a year, or sooner if streaking begins.
- Inspect engine belts regularly. Worn belts will affect the engine performance. Look for cracks and missing sections or segments.
- Have the air filtration system checked frequently. The air filter should be checked every other oil change for clogging or damage. This system ensures that the vehicle is performing at its peak condition.
|Service Interval Schedule:|
Vehicle System or Component
Check Every 3,000 Miles
Stopped in to get help with an 01 Dodge we are rehabbing, the guys are very nice and very helpful! Took care of my abs brake sensors that were melted in!
I had an amazing experience here at B & M! Both my mom and I had been having problems with our Toyota Priuses, this is the closest shop that works with hybrids but unfortunately we live about an hour and 15 minutes away. Boy am I glad that we drove this whole way! We arrived there as they opened and told them about the cars problems and stayed to chat for a while. Marty, the main mechanic mentioned how they had been operating with just two employees and the manager because everyone else had quit. Because of that they were unsure how soon they could get to my car. I wasn't super happy about that but I understood that it was out of their control. Because I was trying to leave shortly for the start of school, I really didn't have much time to waste, but again, they couldn't do much about it. My mom and I had about a days worth of errands to run around Knoxville so we told Marty that we would be around for that day in case they miraculously finished with the car. About an hour or two before they closed we got a call about the car. Unfortunately, my car was totaled, but because they were so fast with their diagnosis I still have plenty of time to figure out what to do as far as school goes. I would highly recommend coming here for your auto repairs. They were very considerate to my need for quickness even through their rough times, they were all very personable and I really enjoyed standing there listening to them talk, and so if ever I come back after college, they have gained themselves a customer for life. Thank you so very much Marty, Bob, and Gary.